Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Koh Samui Thai Cuisine

There are two facts I know about Thailand. The people has close likeness to us Filipinos. The only thing that is different was they are one of the countries in Asia that was never colonized. It is my second time to eat Thai dishes. One was from a seasonal Thai buffet a hotel hosted.

Years later, I got to experience Thai dining again on a Chinese New Year. This time at a Thai cuisine called Koh Samui. Named after an island in Thailand, it is located at Hobbies Of Asia along Macapagal Blvd. not far from the World Trade Center. The cuisine's emblem is an elephant. In Thailand, an elephant is considered an iconic figure which is why you will see two elephant statues guarding the entrance.
Ampalaya shake

As I entered Koh Samui, I met up with other food bloggers who are already in the restaurant. At our table, there's already appetizers served. There's already some home made crackers. I was asked what drink I fancy. Besides the Thai milk tea, there are something new to consider. I tried their ampalaya shake because I am curious what it taste like. Ampalaya is known for its bitter taste but with health benefits. When I took a sip, there was an after taste but the bitterness was tolerable. I never expected that ampalaya will taste this good as a drink.
Pineapple rice

While waiting for the dishes, I took the time to take a look at the function area upstairs. The function areas are ideal for private functions like corporate launches or parties. I will feature the dishes that really fancied not only my sense of taste. The Pineapple Fried Rice is done in a presentable manner. It is served in a pineapple's outer layer topped with tomatoes and vegetables which gives the rice that rich flavor. How the dish was served makes it almost hard not to consume.
Chicken Pandan

The Chicken Pandan is Koh Samui Thai signature dish. The chicken is wrapped in pandan leaves before cooking which gives the chicken not only the flavor but an aroma as well. It is served best with a sweet chili sauce.
Deep Fried Lapu-Lapu in Mango

One of the dishes that got not only my sense of taste craving but my sight as well was the deep fried Lapu-Lapu with mango. It was the first time I see a dish that uses mango as a sauce. Even as we finish the dish, we still kept on scooping some of the mango sauce.
Signature Grilled Honey Chicken

The next signature dish we tried was the Charcoal Grilled Honey Chicken. The name actually speaks for itself. I know we've been eating chicken as long as we remember but this dish really has flavor not only from the honey but probably from the way it was grilled.
Tom-Yam-Gung

What's a Thai cuisine without its Tom Yam. Many Filipinos are familiar with Tom Yam as an instant noodle flavor but I bet most never tried the real dish. Just the mere taste of Tom Yam Gung's spicy and sour unique combination and just the smell of its distinct herbs and spices makes me crave for it while writing this.
Pad Thai

Also common to Thai dishes is their Pad Thai. It is really good that I almost forgot that I am monitoring my diet. In Thai dishes, it's OK to use your hands for eating just like us Pinoys. In dishes like the Golden Curry Crab, it is no exception. It's alright to pig out since crabs are not easy to eat. The curry sauce can also be dipped with slice bread.
Grilled Lamb Chops

It is also new knowledge for me to find out that lamb chops are is not limited as a Western or Mediterranean dish. Koh Samui also serves Grilled Lamb Chops. Koh Samui Thai Cuisine can give you a cross-cultural experience in fine dining. Ideal for any occasion. Like KohSamuiThai on Facebook for more promos. For more food trips, like the L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete